Welcome to the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture Research Repository
What would you like to view today?
Pratiques paysannes et utilisation potentielle de Metarhizium flavoviride Gams and Rozsypal en lutte antiacridienne au Niger
MetadataShow full item record
A socio-economic study was executed in South East Niger to determine the conditions under which a novel mycopesticide based on the fungus Metarhizium flavoviride could be introduced for locust and grasshopper control as a possible alternative reducing the use of synthetic chemicals. From the interviews, all farmers estimated locusts and grasshoppers to be one of three major pests. The survey revealed that 93.8% of the farmers conduct collective pesticide applications. About 45.5% of the farmers received support from the brigades, at least once. The remaining farmers (54.5%) were not assisted by the brigades due to a lack of pesticides. Farmers estimate that the choice of any pesticide greatly depends upon its knock-down ability (57.5%) or the numbers of cadavers found after a treatment (42.5%). Most farmers (82%) consider the government to be responsible for locust and migrant grasshoppers control. On average, farmers were willing to pay US$ 1.00 per ha per year, to protect their crops.
Multi standard citation
Permanent link to this itemhttps://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12478/5289
Digital Object Identifier (DOI)